The infusion of bone marrow began at 3AM and came in 3 separate doses, the transplant was complete at 8:30AM. The nurses sang "Happy Birthday" and we said a prayer for her new marrow to be welcomed into her body . . . a ceremony of sorts!
Erica is doing fine. Being that a bone marrow transplant is not a surgery, it can be a bit "boring" in the actual procedure. Erica was awake, laying right beside me the whole time. We sang, we napped, we even watched Barney. When it was all done, we took a long snooze and smiled as we dreamed about all of the healing that is about to take place. This is a long road, to say the least. The radiation, the chemo, the pre-meds, the transplant, and now the period called engraftment. This next phases can take 20-40 days. We will not be going home until her blood counts show that engraftment of the new bone marrow has taken place.
Today was the first day that Erica cried and cried as she was reaching for the door to the room. It was as though she knew that she got her new marrow and thought, "ok, it's time to go!" We introduced some new books and tried to keep her busy so that she wouldn't focus so much on going out . . . just 30 days to go!
In the days to come, the expectation is that she will start feeling very sick . . . all the things that I have mentioned in past blogs. We can hope, and pray, that she skates though . . . never hurts to ask. I'll keep you posted.
Much love and gratitude!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

17 comments:
Wow! We are happy to hear things have gone "according to plan" so to speak, over the last few days. Day by day she will continue to get stronger, I know. What an inspiration to us all.
- Love and prayers for you three.
We now know 5 people (including Erica) celebrating their birthday today! January 23rd is a popular day! Glad all went as expected during the transplant. Sounds like she is ready to be home already! You all have our continued prayers. Love, Eric, Heidi, Ethan and Blake
We are so elated that all went well with the transplant. You and Bob will continue to bring Erica the strength and perserverance to get through the journey ahead of you... and all the prayers surrounding all of you will help too! Hugs all around!
hi meg & bob-I've had so many people call me today & ask about Erica. It feels so good to know that people are holding her close in prayer and thought. The updates are wonderful--for both the content and the comfort. Great to talk with you last night. Good perspective w/Tony too!! :) Happy Birthday Erica! Love, Tony, Krista, Ella and Nick
My dear little family! What an amazing inspiration you ALL are to me. Erica is so strong - and so smart. I will continue to pray for her little body and for the new cells - we need them to beat the snot out of those old ones! :) xoxo aunt chrissie
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU precious little angel. We love you so much and we give you our strength. Thank you for the updates, they bring us close to you and make us feel like we are with you every step of the way. I pray for healing and comfort.
I LOVE YOU GUYS - Tuck
Thank you Megan for taking time to let us all know how our little angel is doing. I will pray that she won't be as sick as they say, I pray that the engraftment happens quickly and I pray our Dear Lord continues to keep you and Bob strong.
Love you
All the candles are burning in CO and will continue to do so.....here is a little prayer that Ethan and I say every night for you all...I thought I would share................
God is my help in every need, God is my every hunger feed, God walks beside me and guides my way through every moment in every day. I now am wise, I now am true, patient, kind and loving too. All things I am, can do and be through the God the truth that lives in me.
God is my health, I cannot be sick. God is my strength unfailing quick. God is my all, I have no fear, since God and love and truth are here. And so it is. We love you!
Cristina and Ethan
Happy New Birthday to Erica! We read with tears in our eyes your wonderful posting. We praise for the new beginning and pray for her comfort over the next days, no infections, and for engraftment looking ahead. With love and prayers! Andrea, Gav, Eleanor, and Arabella
Megan, Bob, & sweet Erica,
So happy to hear that the transplant went smoothly!! We know that she will do great and hope that the side effects don't treat her too bad. I can't blame her for wanting to go home, but hopefully it will be soon enough. All our love and happy thoughts are with you. Rest and take care of that precious girl!!
Love, Scott, Alison, & Samantha
I am so ecstatic a perfect match was discovered and executed upon. Full recovery is now and soon. Thanks to God and and the tremendous love and support from you Jerry and Gem.
Happy Birthday sweet Angel Erica!! Stay Strong Meg and Bob, It is in you. Love, Aunt Rhonda
Amazing support Erica has. She's blessed to have such wonderful parents! We are keeping the positive energy flowing! The Wheels
Thank you for your updates Megan and Bob. We are waiting and counting down the days with you until you're able to come home and keeping Erica in our prayers everyday. I'm not sure the protocol but would be happy to send up some new DVDs, books and toys to keep things fresh, Barney can get old quite quickly :)
All our love,
Ambra, Trim & Reese
Megan, thank you so much for taking the time to let us know the transplant went well, even though delayed. I wish you, Erica and Bob much peace and comfort and healing through the next few weeks of "confinement" in the hospital. We'll pray for a speedy grafting.
Much love!
Our prayers are continuous for precious little Erica. We feel the light at the end of the tunnel is approaching and it brings joy to our hearts to know that your family is together and witnessing a miracle. The updates have been a blessing. We Love you all.
The Abbott’s
Post a Comment