Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Next Steps

Erica is doing well and her skin GVHD is looking much better. The GI track isn't improving as quickly but that was to be expected, I just hope it clears up soon. The stitches from her skin biopsy came out on Monday and she is very proud of her Dora band-aides.

Tomorrow we go in for a growth hormone test where her pituitary system will be tested. This test will include several medications, growth hormone and blood draws. The goal of the test is to determine the level of growth hormone output after she is actually given the hormone. It's not an even input vs. output. If her system is operating under the assumption that is has adequate levels then it will not adopt the levels that we give her . . . making the daily injections unnecessary. The testing will take about 4 hours and then we have been told that she will be a sleepy girl for the rest of the day.

Those are our next steps on this road to recovery. Erica looks good, puffy from the steroids, but active and happy! God Bess!

3 comments:

Wellbeloved Family said...

So happy to hear the GVHD is clearing up and I'm sure Erica looks adorable in her Dora band-aids! Hoping for good news with the next round of testing. We are sending our love and prayers and will stay tuned for updates. Erica we are all so proud of you!
xo,
Ambra, Reese and Trim

The Howards said...

We will be thinking of you tomorrow during Erica's testing. Thanks for your continued updates on her recovery. She never ceases to amaze us!

Love,

Eric, Heidi, Ethan and Blake

cwigington said...

Megan Elizabeth Burd,
So I am at the gym today, running on the ole elliptical just minding my own business. I am scrolling through the songs on my ipod and come across that darn Michael W. Smith and b/c I haven't heard it in a long time, I choose "Friends". Halfway through I proceed to start crying like a baby thinking of you and all you have been through and should not have to go through. I had to change it to that damn ole "Funky Cold Medina" so I could laugh instead. I love you and am thinking of you today and Erica and how amazing she is.
kel